Saturday, January 21, 2012

Week #2: That's more like it!

Many people have been asking us how the cleanse is going (thanks, by the way!) and I have to say that this past week (Week 2) was WAY better than the first week. During the first week, we were basically just trying to survive it. I felt kind of like a zombie all week. This past week, however, I had much more energy and felt like myself again. We got to enjoy more protein, new tasty recipes, and weren't craving the things we were giving up as much as before.

To start where I left off in the last update post, I'll cover Sunday-Wednesday.
Sunday, we had an early morning at church, but we decided that we'd try the Tofu Scramble. The recipe called for collard greens, but I decided to get spinach instead.



We decided two things: 1) it was ok*. 2) it didn't taste like scrambled eggs.

*Note: We made this recipe again on Tuesday morning, adding lemon zest, lemon juice, and a little more salt, and it was MUCH better.

Sunday for lunch, we had the second half of the Sweet Potato Apple salad that we had made on Saturday, then for dinner we had Baked Haddock with Broccoli, Apple, and Fennel Slaw (the recipe was for trout, but we didn't find any so we got haddock instead).


 I thought the shallot was so pretty all sliced up--
delicate swirls of lavender and white.

Haddock fresh from Gloucester!

Topped with salt & pepper, thinly sliced shallot, thinly sliced lemon, 
and an olive oil drizzle:

Baked in foil packets for 12-14 min. at 400 degrees.

Voila!

It really was delicious!

Monday was a holiday (no school!!!!) so we had a nice relaxing morning, and we really wanted to go ice skating, because it had been so cold. We made an Antioxidant Smoothie for breakfast, since we had more frozen strawberries and pomegranate juice, and I made butternut squash soup for lunch. I figured that it would make a good post-skating warm-you-up lunch.
It was. =)

I didn't take pictures of the full butternut-squash-soup-making process last time I made it, so I made sure to take more pictures this time:





I also made beet soup so that we could take both to school the next day for lunch and mix the colors. =)

For dinner on Monday, we made the Baked Trout (Haddock) again, since the slaw recipe made enough for two meals. That made for THREE fish dinners in one week! Yum!

Tuesday and Wednesday weren't that exciting...BUT they were the end of week two!

Tuesday
Breakfast: Tofu Scramble (improved), Lunch: Spicy Black Bean Salad*, Dinner: swirled soups 
Wednesday
Breakfast: Green Smoothie, Lunch: Spicy Black Bean Salad (part 2), Dinner: Beet Soup

*Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of the black bean salad....both days. It was good, though! Zesty and fresh.

Wednesday afternoon I went shopping for the Week 3 recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment