Thursday, January 5, 2012

Detox Cleanse 2012: Day 1!

On New Years Day Mike and I spent time with our brother and sister-in-law in Springfield, MA. They told us about a cleanse they were doing from Martha Stewart's Whole Living Magazine. After checking it out, we decided to give it a shot as well. It's very well planned and structured, and includes recipes, shopping lists, helpful advice, and even stretches!

We decided to give ourselves a few days to prepare and finish up some leftovers, and it took a while to gather all the fruits and veggies for the first week's meals! (we basically raided Market Basket's produce section...)

I decided that it would be fun to blog about our experiences during this adventure, and maybe be able to provide some advice for anyone thinking about doing something similar. Below are my thoughts and experiences from day #1:

Day 1 of 21:
11:45 am
Today is day #1 and I am currently enjoying an Avocado, Bell Pepper and Cherry Tomato salad. Yum!

This morning Mike made us Orange Berry Smoothies and Bengal Spice Tea (my fave--and caffeine free!). It was a delicious breakfast and I barely noticed not having coffee....for now at least!

3:15pm
I definitely got more tired in the afternoon! By 1:30 I was feeling the lack of caffeine and protein, but I had a banana after school, and that helped. =)

I'm thinking that tonight will be Steamed Broccoli and Squash with Tahini Sauce, but I haven't been able to find "Delicata" Squash anywhere...maybe I'll substitute Butternut.

9:45pm
We did have the Steamed Broccoli dinner, but I substituted butternut squash for the other kind that I couldn't find, and kale for "mixed greens" since we already had it for another recipe. It was good! I found the recipe a little ambiguous in parts (how much is half a head of broccoli?), but overall, very tasty and colorful, and it makes two meals' worth.


On another note, It was really hard looking over at the counter at a half-full bottle of wine, knowing that we weren't allowed to drink it....and having to ignore some delicious-looking Autstrian truffles from a student...oh well! Instead, I will have to be content with my herbal tea.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about how this goes. I've been wanting to do something like this now that I'm done nursing and wanting to finally start getting myself healthy and in shape! It all sounds good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far all the recipes have been really good--I do find myself longing for coffee and pizza and sandwiches...but I'm hoping that it will be worth it in the long run!

    ReplyDelete