Thursday, January 12, 2012

Detox, Day #6: the light at the end of the tunnel

Yesterday I mentioned that even through day 4 we were struggling...I thought that I'd elaborate a little, then give the good news. Sunday, we practically slept all afternoon, and Mike still had a headache on and off throughout the day, and I developed a rash on my neck and face, which I read could be the skin's way of getting rid of toxins. I felt kind of weak and low-energy most of the week, and I also felt sluggish mentally, although it's hard to tell what's a direct result of the detox, and what's a result of returning to work after break.

The good news is, that yesterday and today, both of us felt just fine! I haven't felt as sluggish, and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel -- only one more day of the first week!!!

(picture from the
Whole Living website)
I've been bad about taking pictures today, but we had the Cucumber, Honeydew, and Mint smoothie, which was pretty good, although I either put too much mint in, or it was just strong, because the mint flavor was very intense. Also, we had to use lemon instead of lime juice.

Ingredients: English cucumber, honeydew melon, pear juice*, lime juice**, fresh mint leaves


*I used a pear + 1c. water because it was cheaper than pear juice
**I used lemon, but just because I didn't have lime...I bet lime would have been better

For lunch and dinner (since we were at school all day and it was easier than making two separate meals late last night) we had the Spiced Butternut and Apple Soup, which was really good! I neglected to take a picture of the finished product (which was a beautiful velvety yellow-orange puree), but I at least got some of the ingredients cooking. I am planning on making it again, and then I'll take a finished product picture. 

close-up =)

Ingredients: olive oil, onion, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, carrots, butternut squash, apple, and spices: turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom (I used Garam Masala), ground cloves, salt and pepper
(I also packed a tablespoon of pepitas for each of us, to top our soups with, to add a little protein)

I am thankful that we pushed through this week, and I am really thankful for a husband who was willing to go through this adventure with me--I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment