Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Homemade Yogurt! In a crock pot!

I recently tried my hand at making homemade yogurt in a crock pot.
I like it!
I used the recipe & method found on Our Life Simplified.
It really is simple!

Ingredients (for 2 quarts of yogurt):
1/2 gallon milk (not ultra pasteurized) ~ $4
1 c. yogurt with live, active cultures ~ $0.62
1/2 c. dry milk (makes it thicker, if using low fat milk) $0.81

Total cost = $5.43, or $2.715 per quart! (even using not-cheap local milk!)
 Pour the milk (just the milk) into a crock pot and put it on low for 2 hours, until it gets to 180 degrees.
 Thanks to Mike, I now have a candy thermometer, with which I can check the temperature!
 Once it reaches 180, you let it cool down to 115 degrees.
 Then you whisk in the dry milk and yogurt, wrap the whole thing in a towel, and stick it in the oven to incubate for at least 8 hours (overnight!). I checked mine after 8 hours, but left it in for another 2, because it still seemed pretty thin. Some people suggested leaving the oven light on during this process, but I didn't try that.
 This is what it looked like after 10 hours of incubation. :)
 Lastly, since I had some cheesecloth, I strained the whole big mess for a bit to drain away the excess liquid, and make it a little creamier. Cheesecloth is so handy!
Lastly, although I forgot to take pictures of this part, I divided the yogurt between to quart-sized mason jars, and stuck it in the fridge!
It was delicious with homemade granola!

Consensus: I will make this more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment