Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New adventure: Homemade Donuts!

Not long ago I came across this recipe (on Pinterest) for homemade pumpkin donuts, which claimed to be "The Best", and they were made with almond flour, pumpkin, and were baked, so they were healthier.

I was intrigued. 

I bought a donut pan.

I seized my first opportunity to make them. (The end of a sick day, once I was feeling better)

First, I blended up a bunch of almonds in my food processor to make the necessary 1 1/2 c. of almond flour (you can find instructions for this process here). Almond flour is expensive otherwise. This process took a while, but eventually I had blended and sifted enough almonds to start the recipe.

The main ingredients were things that I had on hand anyway: almonds, pumpkin, agave/honey, cinnamon, coconut oil, etc. The only thing I had to buy specifically was Arrowroot Powder, which I found at Market Basket for $3.99.

Once you mix all the ingredients together, you scoop the batter into a plastic bag, cut off one corner, then pipe the mixture into the donut pan, and roughly smooth the surfaces. Bake for at least 20 min. at 325.





Dip the tops in your glaze of choice (recipes found on above website), and then let them dry for at least 15 minutes, so they're no longer goopy.

The batter was more than enough for the six donuts in the pan, so I squirted the rest of it into "donut hole" shapes onto parchment paper, and baked them too. I hoped that they would puff up a little, but they basically stayed looking like little piles of...well, you can see for yourself.

They turned out to be really delicious -- I recommend them fresh, but they were also good re-heated in the toaster oven so they got all warm and crispy again. 

Conclusion: Delicious, but a little crumbly. That might have been from making the almond flour from scratch, however.


2 comments: