Saturday, February 18, 2012

Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Cake =)

I've been wanting to make Chocolate Covered Katie's single-serving baked oatmeal recipes, but hadn't had a good morning to try them out until today.

I had bought ramekins for this very purpose......but unfortunately I forgot to check the recipe first to see what size I would need (1 c.) and instead got 6 oz. ramekins. Oh well.

I wasn't sure what to bake the oatmeal in, since my ramekins were too small. Then, I had a genius I idea:

I could still make it, but using four ramekins instead of two. THEN, I could even layer them, like a cake!

So, I did!

Doubling the recipe (since it is for just one serving), I divided the batter equally between four greased (with coconut oil) ramekins, and it came out to just about 1/4 c. + 1 Tbsp batter per ramekin. Bake them for 20 min. at 380 degrees, then broil for 3 more min. at the end.

Note: for this batch I used CCK's Boatmeal For One recipe, using applesauce rather than pumpkin, and no extra sweetener.

The nice thing is, once you mix up the batter and put them in the oven, you can hop back in bed for another 20 minutes while they bake!

They should look like this, pulling away from the edges a bit.

Then I popped them out, put them top-down on little plates...

"frosted" them with a mixture of Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla (which I happened to have all mixed up in the fridge from last weekend)...

And then topped them with the remaining two mini baked oatmeals, more "frosting", and cinnamon.


Yum! I love Saturday morning breakfasts....a lot.

And of course it wouldn't have been complete without some delicious coffee =)

No comments:

Post a Comment